I'm having to type two in birthday invitations.
I'm saying it when people ask how old he is.
Everything is two.
It's hitting me.
It's harder to swallow than one was!
How on Earth have I made it two whole years? How on Earth is the birthday boy still alive? If you were here for the million falls that happen daily, you'd understand why I say that.
Here are the stream of thoughts I have as I am typing, saying, and writing the number two these days...
In two years we have overcome so many firsts. In two years I have lost a whole lot of sleep, that I have learned I will never get back. I've learned how to love someone with every fiber of my being. I've learned how to cry. I've learned that Leyton's head is tougher than I thought (thankfully). His will is stronger than that of my own. I've learned that life is sweet, in the midst of so much chaos and uncertainty. Love heals. It teaches us so much about ourselves and others. Love gets us through. Love holds us together. If there is anything that I have learned personally in these two precious years, it is that you are not defined by any SINGLE moment. Your past does not dictate your future. You choose how you you deal with what life throws at you. God CAN use the mess of your life for something far better than you know. Promise. Just look at this face.
In two years we have overcome so many firsts. In two years I have lost a whole lot of sleep, that I have learned I will never get back. I've learned how to love someone with every fiber of my being. I've learned how to cry. I've learned that Leyton's head is tougher than I thought (thankfully). His will is stronger than that of my own. I've learned that life is sweet, in the midst of so much chaos and uncertainty. Love heals. It teaches us so much about ourselves and others. Love gets us through. Love holds us together. If there is anything that I have learned personally in these two precious years, it is that you are not defined by any SINGLE moment. Your past does not dictate your future. You choose how you you deal with what life throws at you. God CAN use the mess of your life for something far better than you know. Promise. Just look at this face.
I have to laugh at some of the comments that people leave me after I post one of these blogs. I truly love all of the sweet words. However, as 'together' as it seems through my words and pictures, that is not always ever the case. Yes, I try to count it ALL joy. Yes, I TRY and soak up every moment. I do my best to pour my life into Leyton's, and show him how much he is loved. But, I'm not saying it's easy to do all of those things, at all times. As we embrace the the "terrible twos" stage, I am learning that it's not easy to enjoy each moment. When your child is slamming his head on a stair case, because he is mad that his momma won't let him have the 10th sucker that he snuck from who knows where....it's hard to enjoy. I doubt I will look back a few years from now and wish I could go back to these moments of straight insanity. But, I have to remind myself, it's just a moment. I don't have it all together...in fact, I'm more "not together" than anything. I'm laid back, and that gets the best of me at times. We aren't runnin' any kind of tight ship over here.
When we go more than an hour without a fit being thrown, life is good.
When food or liquid hasn't been spilled 5 times during dinner, dinner was a success.
When food or liquid hasn't been spilled 5 times during dinner, dinner was a success.
When I wake up not feeling as though I just went to sleep, it's a miracle.
I do my best to live in the moment, however, there are moments that I just want to get through....quickly!
At this stage in a terrible two's life, I promise Leyton would define a good day by saying this...
"You know it was a good day if you didn't hit or bite anyone."
Amen to that. Those days are few and far between!
Ashley
As a mom, I think you have to learn to embrace each moment and know that not every single one will be the most enjoyable.
It's ok to be excited for bedtime or any small break you get thoughout the day. You need it!
Mom is not easy, don't let anyone fool you. It's especially not easy if you're doing it right. But it's worth it...so worth it.
I love this boy. I wouldn't trade being his mommy for anything in this world.
Bring it on, two's.
I'm ready.
Bring it on, two's.
I'm ready.
Ashley



Happy second birthday! He's such a cutie!
ReplyDeleteWhat a cute little boy with a big big smile!
ReplyDeleteI know u said I'd cry. You do know my heart. You have a piece of it in that 'little boy'.
ReplyDeleteGod had it all planned. I have no doubt.
This is my favorite blog
ReplyDelete